Sunday, November 21, 2010

Harvest Baskets


Snowflakes are falling outside my window, so it's time to put another lap quilt on the couch. I made this one at Gwen Marston's Beaver Island Retreat in 2008. It's inspired by a small crib or doll quilt from the late 1800's. Buffy was with me at the retreat. Thanks to her, there are a few pieces of corduroy included.

Don't miss her corduroy quilt at the Rebels! blog. Speaking of corduroy, check out Deb Rowden's post on 11/11/11 as National Corduroy Day.




This was my first experiment in hand-quilting. I used wool batting, which is a dream to stitch through.



Happy Thanksgiving! I'm about to jump out of my skin, I'm so excited. A certain blogger friend from NYC is visiting this weekend, and I'll get to spend a day with her!!!

16 comments:

Pinkadot Quilts said...

Wow it is great! You have a great sense of color. That retreat sounds like fun. We must be on a same wave length I just posted my latest basket quilt!

Quiltycat said...

I love all your quilts...and this too! Your sense of colors is great!
nichi

Selvage Quilter said...

I love this quilt!! You are truly amazing.

Yikes, it's snowing already? I like the first snowfalls. (By March, I've had enough though!)

Karen

Em said...

SO love this quilt and the hand stitching is such a homey touch! And I am so wishing I was going to be up to visit with you and your "NYC visiting friend!" Love to you and loved seeing a new post! Em

beth said...

Oh I LOVE this quilt!! I've dreamed about going to Gwen's retreat....maybe someday.

Julie Fukuda said...

Cute quilt and nice quilting. I have never even seen any wool batting.
Have a great visit.

Marit said...

What a happy quilt! Love how you put the colors together
; )
I am sure this quilt has many happy memories stitched to it, a quilt retreat with Gwen must be fantastic! Your quilting is lovely...

Sujata Shah said...

Lovely quilt, Nifty! As always, I love your color choices.
Snow already? I am not ready for that just yet.

Bonnie said...

When I talked to my son in Seattle, he told me that it was snowing. Yikes!! I said it never (well hardly ever) snows in Seattle. He said it is today.

Zounds!!!Love the quilt. Bonnie B.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Oh, Nifty, this is fabulous!
glen way down in Southern Louisiana, no snow here!

Alexis said...

This is gorgeous! The snow makes such perfect sewing weather! Enjoy your holiday!

Mego said...

Lovely...you are so GOOD! You have fun with V tomorrow! I'm stuck up here on Sand Point watching that pesky snow STILL falling! Ahhhh well I'll be able to work from home tomorrow and MAYBE sneak in some quilting!!!

Janet said...

I love it , it seems to glow and your handquilting looks fabulous by the way. Wool is so easy to stitch through.

Mary Jenkins said...

I love this quilt and would love to know more about the original? Do you know where it was made?

Barb said...

Great quilt - love the quilting.
I think I can guess who's coming - have fun!!

Tonya Ricucci said...

fabulous quilt - very cozy and warm.