Thursday, July 3, 2014

Learning from a Japanese Master

Sachiko Yoshida, a master Japanese quilt-maker, and several of her students 
from Japan were at the LaConner Quilt Museum this week!  
I was fortunate to spend an afternoon in a class taught by Sachiko.



The class was on Japanese family crests.  
This is Sachiko's class example.




Each of us were given a packet of vintage kimono silk from Sachiko's collection.




We were instructed to lay out the pieces exactly like the class example.  





Then we were instructed to hand-piece part of the background.  
We used templates to draw stitching lines on the back of the fabric pieces.

Her students helped us a great deal.  
They could hand-piece as fast as a sewing machine!




It took a lot of concentration.  Looks like one participant had to take a break!




This is how the background is supposed to look when we're done.  
The seams are basted to the side with thick white thread before they're ironed.
This helps to stabilize the delicate silk.




The Japanese student who was helping our table used this sewing kit.  
I definitely need one of these!

There's a fantastic show of quilts by Sachiko Yoshida and her students 
plus many other Japanese quilt makers, 
at the LaConner Quilt Museum through October 5.  

Wish I could show you photos, but they didn't allow them.
You can purchase a show catalog from the museum.

Happy 4th of July weekend!





















14 comments:

apiecefullife said...

How I would have loved to do that.What is the show catalogue like?

Rachaeldaisy said...

You do the most interesting classes. How fun to get to play with kimono pieces! The resulting backgrounds are beautiful. Happy 4th of July!!

fiberchick said...

What a wonderful experience although I can't imagine you sewing by the rules... Is the catalog beautiful?

Helen said...

I would have loved that class, too. All by hand with gorgeous fabrics ... my cup of tea!

audrey said...

How incredible for you! Thanks for sharing as much as you did. It sounds like an amazing time.:)

antique quilter said...

wow what a great class this must have been.
very inspiring. Interesting to see the background stitched like that, look forward to seeing your piece done…. It would be an exhibit I would love to see think I need to order the catalog! were you awed by their quilts?
Kathie

Barb said...

interesting class. That is a great sewing kit

Sujata Shah said...

Did you enjoy the class? I am curious. I would have hard time creating something just like the sample provided. Then again it depends on the sample. I love the sample here. I should have that kit too for all kind of handwork I do.
I wish I could stop by before October 5th.

Monica said...

What a great opportunity! I would love to have a go at the Japanese way of hand piecing. That sewing kit looks very useful, too. I hope you will be able to show us your finish!

meli B said...

I hope there is going to be another instalment. I need to know what happens next. It looks like a gorgeous little project to do.

Jan said...

I had a chance to meet Sachiko Yoshida at the Tokyo Quilt Festival one year. I had admired her quilts in photos but when I got to see some at the show, their beauty blew me away. Is the show catalog a good one ~ reflective of the pieces, good color?
I had to laugh at your comment re: the speed of the Japanese stitching. I always wondered how they could make such intricate quilts in such a short time until I had the opportunity to stitch with them. They are incredible, aren't they?

Ailsa (Cape Pincushion) said...

Wow, very different and inspiring! Looks really challenging because flimsy silky fabrics are so difficult to work with.

Marit said...

Looks like a fun class with beautiful fabric!
; )

Cynthia@wabisabiquilts said...

What a wonderful opportunity! I echo what Jan wrote about the speed of stitching - it's amazing. Most Japanese women do not have room in their homes for a machine set-up. I also chuckled at the fact that you had to follow the sensei's sample exactly - that's very Japanese ;).